Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ponderings....

Is more money actually better? Theoretically the more money you make, the more that you have, but is it actually true? If you work two jobs, but then have to order in take out every night because you are too tired/rushed/hurried to cook a good meal, then have you netted any more than if you only worked one job?
I have been debating on a third job lately. I currently work full time as an Archivist and have my little "trunk lady" business on the side (which takes a bit of time). The actual benefits of working another 20 or so hours a week may not be that great of an idea. Sure, I could make a little more than $100 a week, but I have to wonder how much of that will be eaten up in extra gas and how big of a hit my food budget will take. Nor am I thrilled that it will take even more time away from my precious children.
I don't know if working a third job is a good idea. My full time job, working for "The County" is a decent one, especially in an area with such a low job rate. The cost of living in my area is not that high compared to most, but with gas at $3 a gallon, and the cost of EVERYTHING except pay rates going up, then it seems like adding another job is a certainty.
I am in such awe of those wonderful stay at home moms who live on $25,000 a year, and make it work out. I am sure they have rough times, but their management skills are far superior to mine. How some of them make ends meet is beyond my understanding. I have been there, and was not so great at it, we generally stayed stressed out a lot, which is no picnic.
So, when you are down, do you focus on what you have, or strive for what you need? What is the key to being happy, even when your chips are down?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Good question Gina!

I'll bet the added stress of paying more for gas, spending less time with your loved ones and eating out because of being exhausted will take away from what you would earn and would wear on you like the lack of funds did before.

Of course, I don't know the ins and outs of your life, but I have found with mine that if I take away all of the garbage around me and ask myself what I truly desire, God shows His glory and blessings many times over.

Pray for guidance and let your Father do the rest.

Hang in there!

Many Blessings,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what it would be like to have three jobs but my husband and I both work full-time with four kids. We try and manage our money the best we can saving in every area. We eat out only once a month as a treat. I don't feel the need to stop and have take out if you plan your week properly. I really love using my crock pot.
Good luck with your decision!

Anonymous said...

Gina,
You seem to be so wise & smart with your grocery budget that I am surprised that you wouldn't give yourself more credit on your frugal living skills.

Go with your true gut feelings and pray a lot about it.

I posted over at Meredith's also. I've lived my entire live on less than the median wage. I have no desire to trade my time for more money which would only bring different stress & my life is less stressful now even with health issues. Though we have some very tight moments, I will say I enjoy making frugality a positive challenge. God always seems to provide, even if it's just enough & sometimes that has been amazing to see!

A great book I recommend is "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez.

village mama said...

Nice blog theme!

Great questions. My answer is to go on daily gratitude walks with my children, infact, that's what my post today is about.

We only have one car; we can afford two, but one of the promises I've made to the universe and my children is to show them that frugality is great for the pocket and for the earth's resources.