Thursday, April 3, 2008

Frugal Friday -- Recycled Towels

When I was folding laundry today I quickly realized how few washclothes we had left. And I thought "Great! One more thing I need to buy." As I continued, I found a towel that had a whole in the middle, and decided that maybe I didn't need to buy anything after all.

I took the towel and cut it into about 8 inch strips. Then I cut the strips in half, then in half again. Presto! 8 inch square wash cloths for the price of a scrappy towel. I ended up with 16 wash cloths, which would have in the cheapest of deals been $8. I simply run the new wash cloths through a wash cycle, which frayed the ends and keeps them from unraveling. They are not the most beautiful, but very frugal, and earth friendly, as I simply recycled what I would have otherwise thought as trash.

Thanks for visiting! For other Frugal Friday tips, scoot on over to Biblical Womanhood!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done that too. If you want, you can pretty them up by running them through a serger. If you don't have a serger, perhaps a friend has one.

Niki Jolene said...

never thought of that before!

and here is just went and bought 3 new washcloths at walmart yesterday!

i'll be sure to remember this next time!

:)

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I was just noticing that our washcloths were getting worn out.

Anonymous said...

I've done this in the past too and, if you don't have a serger, you can use a zig-zag stitch on a regular sewing machine.

Blessings,
Tamara (AK)
http://waynehunt.com/happenings

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I'll definitely have to try that one out!

CC said...

good idea!